We’re seeking a Grants Administrator to help us process over $40M in grants annually across multiple EA organisations.
Effective Ventures (EV) is a federation of organisations and projects working to have a large positive impact on the world. We house many of the leading organisations in the effective altruism movement, including: Centre for Effective Altruism, 80,000 Hours, the Forethought Foundation, EA Funds, Giving What We Can, the Centre for the Governance of AI, Longview Philanthropy, Asterisk, Bluedot, and Non-trivial.
EV Operations is a team that aims to provide world-class operational support to the organisations under the EV umbrella. We do this by providing the financial, legal, administrative, grantmaking, logistical, and fundraising support that enables many high-impact organisations to grow.
EV makes grants to hundreds of high-impact projects, individuals, and organisations via programs such as EA Funds, CEA community building grants and groups support funding, and Forethought fellowships. We are looking for someone to help us administer our grants management system, giving our grant recipients a smooth experience and providing efficient processes for our grant evaluators.
If you’re successful in the role, you’ll help us move millions of dollars to high-impact EA work, save the time of grant recipients and staff, and help monitor grant impact.
Some operations experience is ideal for this role (with grant admin experience being a big plus), but we will also consider entry-level candidates who can get up to speed quickly and work diligently to complete routine tasks. You will work closely with the current administrator of our grants management system, Madeline Ephgrave, focusing on ensuring an optimal user experience for our grant recipients and improving the efficiency of our processes.
- Process 1000+ grants through our Salesforce grants management system
- Communicate with grant recipients to solve issues and give them a smooth experience
- Conduct due diligence on all grant recipients to ensure grants are compliant with relevant law and our policies
- Maintain accurate record keeping for all grants
- Run monitoring and reporting, to track impact
Who is suited to this role?
The ideal candidate will be:
- Detail-oriented: You will be dealing with a complex system with many moving parts where errors can be costly
- Highly organised: This role requires keeping track of a high volume of grants, and you’ll need to keep the balance between providing a fast turnaround while ensuring all grants adhere to our grantmaking policies
- A clear and friendly communicator: You’ll be frequently interacting with our grant recipients so will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and a ‘customer service’ attitude
- Committed: We’re looking for someone who is excited to learn the ins and outs of our systems and who wants to commit for at least two years
- Mission-driven: Our ideal candidate is passionate about the goals of EV and its constituent organisations
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time remote position, reporting to Chloe Harris (Head of Systems). You are free to work out of EV’s Oxford office if you are ever in the area. We prefer applicants who are able to work in time zones between US Pacific Time and Central European Time.
We’re in the midst of reviewing our compensation policy and will be solidifying our policy before giving you a final offer, but we expect your starting salary range is £42,000 to £48,000 (assuming the role is in Oxford), depending on prior experience and location. There may be flexibility in salary for exceptional candidates with significant experience.
Our benefits reflect our belief in investing in our people to build the strongest possible team. We want everyone to be able to perform at their best to support our projects and maximise our positive impact.
- Prioritised health & wellbeing
We provide private medical, vision and dental insurance, up to 3 weeks’ paid sick leave, and a mental health allowance of £5,000 each year.
- Flexible working
You’re generally free to set your own schedule (with some overlapping hours with colleagues).
- World-class work environment in Oxford
Our Oxford office, Trajan House, comes with free vegan food, high-quality vegan caterers, a gym and supplements, showers, monitors and other ergonomic equipment to boost your productivity, along with the opportunity to network with people working there.
- Generous vacation
We provide all team members with 25 days’ holiday each year, plus bank (public) holidays.
- Professional development opportunities
We offer a £5,000 allowance each year and build in opportunities for career growth through on-the-job learning, increasing responsibility, and role progression pathways.
- Parental leave and support
New parents have up to 14 weeks fully-paid leave and up to 52 weeks leave in total. We also provide financial support for child care to help parents balance child care needs.
- Pension and income protection plans
We offer a 10% employer / 0% employee pension or retirement contribution, and income protection insurance.
- Equipment to help your productivity
We will pay for high-quality and ergonomic equipment (laptop, monitors, chair, etc.), in the office or at home if you work remotely.
- Team retreats
As we are a remote team, we hold in-person staff retreats, usually twice a year to work on our plans and build strong working relationships.
Equivalent benefits are offered in different locations.
We’re looking for someone to start as soon as possible and will review applications on a rolling basis.
After considering your written application, we may invite you to complete a short trial task followed by further interviews. We will invite finalists to provide references and participate in a multi-day paid work trial.
We’re happy to consider applicants from overseas and may consider visa sponsorship if needed. EV Operations serves a global community, and our team works with people and organisations all over the world. We’re committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We especially encourage applications from women, gender minorities, and people of colour who are excited about contributing to our mission. We’re an equal opportunity employer.If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or have any other questions about applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.